Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Cultural Event


As a destitute college student, my first thought when instructed to attend a cultural event was to find one that was free. Looking for free events, I found them to be few and far between, and of poor quality. I expected as much, but after attending for my own purposes several free recitals and finding nothing of note to write about, I was at a loss. My problem was fixed, however, when a friend was kind enough to give me a ticket to a show back in my hometown of Williamsport. The show, Little Shop of Horrors, was one that I had never seen live, so I welcomed the opportunity. It was performed at our community theatre league, which I had been involved with through high school, and included as cast members a number of people I knew.

Several years ago my mother invited me to watch the film adaptation of this musical, and I can say it was definitely not what I had expected. The stage show was very different from the film adaptation, one example of this being (spoiler alert) that almost everyone dies. Beyond that, I found the stage version to be much more interesting than its movie counterpart, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I thought that the show was very well done, and in particular I enjoyed the acting of the plant, as it came across very much like the animated movie version, and the various versions of it as it grew were all very aesthetic. There wasn’t really anything that I would want to complain about, as like I said I enjoyed the show, though this admittedly might be because of my personal attachment to the cast. The thrust-stage theatre was sold out, as it was for the run of the show, and the lighting and sound were both done very effectively and tastefully. Overall it was a very positive experience, and I look forward to going back and seeing future shows at that venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment